One of the items in our last post, 2021 by the [Food] numbers, was how much milk we consumed last year. At almost 30 gallons a person it seems like a lot (although it’s below the national average), but honestly- very little milk is consumed by the glass. In addition to our homemade ice cream, we also make a gallon of yogurt about every 10 days. These days we use the Instant Pot. Here’s how we do it:
Tools needed for this recipe:
1 Gallon of whole milk
4TBSP yogurt* at room temperature
- Pour the milk into the Instant Pot. Set on the yogurt setting “BOIL” (no pressure).
- Once done, remove the lid and let cool until milk temperature is between 105ºF – 115ºF.
- Add warm milk 1/2 cup at a time to your yogurt starter, stirring between additions until you have about 4 cups of milk mixed in. Add this mixture back into the remaining warm milk in the Instant Pot, and stir/whisk.
- Replace the lid on the Instant Pot and set on Yogurt setting “24:00” (no pressure). Let sit for 24 hours.
- Remove lid, stir, and transfer to jars (we use 1/2 gallon mason jars).
*Yogurt: For your first batch of homemade yogurt you’ll need to purchase yogurt starter OR a container of unsweetened plain whole milk yogurt. For subsequent batches you can use the yogurt from the last batch as long as the cultures are still alive/active.